Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Welcome to my latest project!

Welcome to my latest and craziest project -- an online needlework shop. Over the next month or so, I will be opening an Etsy shop to sell my small completed cross stitch ornaments, magnets, and gift items. You will want to tune in here regularly so that I can update you on the progress as well as tease you with hints of things to come.

My life this last couple of years has been crazy. I have been a needleworker all my life - embroidery and needlepoint when I was younger, counted cross stitch as that developed in the early 1980's. I have done craft shows in 3 different states, and always loved seeing the people smile at my work. Some have even bought it! In the summer of 2011, I had a lovely man propose to me, and I moved from the Texas Hill Country to the rural part of western Finland. I love it here, but it is so very different. I can't just run to Wal-Mart or the Michael's for floss. There is a small fabric shop in nearby Eura that has Mayflower floss, but no DMC! I believe the closest DMC is in Rauma, a good 40 minute drive.

Jobs are scarce here, unless you want to work at plucking chickens or do seasonal work in the fields. There are very few office jobs, so... I decided to make my own work. I did a bunch of counted cross stitch Christmas ornaments that were quite well received. 

These were just some of them.


I think my two favorites were ones I did for my niece and nephew for their tree:


These little ornaments were all stitched on 28 to 32 count evenweave, stuffed with a thin layer of batting and then finished with a single running stitch and fringe. The hangers were simply metallic DMC thread attached to the plain back. My mother-in-law displayed several of last year's ornaments on some spruce cuttings:


These were all stitched on 18 count Aida, then sealed with needlework finisher and cut out. They don't ravel at all. I will be doing a LOT more of these. 

Right now, I am working on a group of message magnets, including some in Finnish. I will post a picture as soon as I get the pieces blocked and completed. I also have conversation hearts in both English and Finnish scheduled to be done in the next week. I expect to have my Etsy shop online and ready in about 2 weeks. I won't have everything there, but it will be a good start. 

I hope you will bookmark this page and come back frequently. Happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment